Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Great Apocalypse

Title: The Great Apocalypse; By Daniel Thompson
Media Source: Ebook
Rating: 4 out of 5

Recommendation: I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys thriller, philosophical, and even science fiction novels.  It is a great addition to bookshelves.

The Great Apocalypse by Daniel Thompson is a Philosophical  thriller with some science fiction elements as well.  It also explores many aspects of life including faith.  It is the first book in the Sparlock of the Multiverse series, and it is a great start to the series.

The prologue introduces our leading man: Thomas as he is investigating a series of hieroglyphic like drawings on the walls of a psychiatric hospital.  Then the story flashes back to the past, to when the stock market crashes.  With the crash some people actually made money, but none more than Koen Ramsey.  He invites several notable people to a party and does something insane (no spoilers here).  Thomas and Jeffrey (an author) spend their time investigating the crash and Ramsey in hopes of writing a new book.  They get a little more than they bargained for.

There are many different things that i loved about this book.  The art and literature discussions in the beginning of the book had me hooked.  I admit I looked up Bosch's triptych just to see the imaged Thompson described.   I also liked the inclusion of some art like "The Death of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram" that we see in chapter sixteen.  One things I somewhat struggled with was a lot of the political and economic talk.  It has a huge part in the book, but I generally struggle with understanding it, so that is more of a downfall on me rather than the novel.  As I said it plays a major role to the story line and the book wouldn't be the same without it.

When I read about all the various elements that play a part in this novel such as The Bible, Jewish legends, various fairy tales, end times theories, lost art, and Gnostic heresies, I didn't think it would work.  I thought it was too many things thrown into a story, but Daniel Thompson works them all together to create this compelling story.  I enjoyed reading the end times theories; Thompson introduces some that I have not heard before.  They added depth to the story, and another thing that I will be researching as well.  Everything Thompson puts into this story shows he did his homework and knew what he was writing about rather than imply using the elements without backing them up.

He causes his readers to want more from his characters.  You feel for the characters, I was on the edge of my seat so to speak when Dr. Lauren Glenn disappeared.  Thomas was a great characters.  Readers get to watch as he transform from being a meek and timid character to one who excludes strength and does what he needs to in order to meet his goals.  I couldn't put the book down until I finished it.  You won't be able to either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...