Sunday, April 16, 2023

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

 

Title: Edge of Summer

Author: Viola Shipman

Source: Paperback

Genre: General Fiction

Rating: 5 enthusiastic paws up


Sutton Douglas is devastated by the death of her mother.  After her death, Sutton makes an impulsive decision to move to Douglas, Michigan to search for answers to her past.  She is not prepared for all she is about to discover.  After buying a jar of buttons from the estate sale of Bonnie Lyons, Sutton begins an unlikely friendship with the woman and begins to wonder could she be the grandmother Sutton dreamed of having.  Sutton begins to unravel the truth to her mother's past; but will she find the family she has craved for, or will her search end in heartache?



I stumbled upon Viola Shipman a few years ago because I was doing am ABC reading challenge where I read a book by an author who's name began with each letter of the alphabet, Viola was my "V". Since then, I have pretty much devoured every book published.  The books are actually written by Wade Rouse who writes under the Viola Shipman name to honor his grandmother, which makes me love these books even more because I now know there is a deeper meaning behind them.  Such as Edge of Summer was inspired by Rouse's grandma's button jar.  Knowing this bit of information adds a certain personal quality to the novel.  It adds sentiment.

When I recommend this author, regardless of books I always say Rouse (Shipman) knows exactly what my heart needs to say or hear.  I cannot tell you how many times I teared up at this novel because it touched something deep within and in a way helped heal my heart from the grief I experience.  He tells the story in a way that it doesn't feel like I am reading a novel, but that I am listening to a cherished friend share their story.  I love the family legacy aspect of all the novels, and that along with the love story and what not, family is at the base of every novel.  Edge of Summer is no different.  There is so much to fall in love with in this novel from the family bonds, the descriptions of a Michigan sunset, to the emotions each character struggles with.  It all feels so real and radiates from the pages into the readers.

 I cannot decide if this has become my favorite Viola Shipman novel or not, they are all just so wonderful to read.  Never knew what I'd find when I stepped outside of my comfort zone.  I recommend this novel to everyone.  I feel like at times it made me acknowledge the way my heart continues to ache for not only my grandmothers, but also my dad.  It was honestly a wonderful book to read while grieving.

Viola SHipman has become one of those authors that I will buy their book without reading the synopsis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...