Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Enter the world of the Trees of Man with Vedientir By Ivan Hladni

 


Title: Vedientir

Author: Ivan Hladni

Source: ebook

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 4 paws up

The alliance of the four kingdoms crumbles when armies belonging to powerful horrors from an era before time itself existed break their way through the Great Trees from the old "Slavic" speaking world of magic and gods into the "English" speaking world of mankind.

Dion, a young man in his early twenties, is then thrust out of the besieged city of Echa on a task to get help from the king, but finds that their kingdom is no longer the safe haven it once was. Things have come out of the Great Trees that have not lived in the world outside of old wives' tales, and Nightmares walk the earth, but not everything is lost...

This light-hearted book is full of action, magic and humor, and the main characters in it are young, especially the dragon, Zmai, who is one year old, or as he said to king Valan - he is "edna rok star", since he does not speak English, but fortunately for the dragon, Dion speaks the Old language and can talk to the dragon and translate for us.


I won this in a goodreads giveaway I cannot believe it took me so long to read it. It is a book that will stick with me and I will recommend to others.  I honestly did not expect to like it as much as I did.

This is a story that I did not expect to just blow me away. Simply love Dion, Kerkio and Zmai as well. There is so much in this novel that keeps you hanging on the edge of your seat.  Dion is the character that doesn't see his strength and thinks everyone baby's him but then comes to realize how strong and important he truly is and what he can do to help save his city.  Kerkio is the type of friend everyone needs.  He's lifting Dion up and reminding him that they are companions, friends, not babysitter.  I think there is more to Kerkio than what we see, he's a force to be reckonded with.  And Zmai, that is there not to love about a young dragon who imprinted on his rescuer??  

I love the acorns of the great Oak trees and the mythos that is with in this novel. Hladni creates his own culture and mythos that makes me simply want more.  I love the use of acorns as magical reagents to travel between cities, summon elementals, and so much more that we didn't really get to see yet in this book, but you just know is more. 

The book leaves it open for more novels and I hope Ivan Hladni writes more, I checked this afternoon and it doesn't look like there is one yet. I don't know what else I could compre this novel too, there is nothing else quite like it. I could really see this book game made into a movie I wish it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...