Friday, March 25, 2022

Library of the Unwritten by AJ Hackwith

 Title: The Library of the Unwritten

Author: A.J Hackwith

Genre: Fantasy

Source: Library Paperback

Rating: 3 paws up

Claire was named Head Librarian of the Unwritten Wing of a library in Hell.  This is where all the unfinished stories by various authors reside.  Her job is to repair and organze the books like most librarians, but from time to time a book gets resetless and self-actualized and becomes one of it's characters in the flesh and try to escape the confines of the library: Claire must stop them.  Things go awry when a hero escapes from his book to search for his author.  Clair and her assistant Brevity (a former muse ooooh) and a nervous young demon named Leto.  This seemingly simple assignment goes horribly wrong when not only the hero tears pages from his book, but an angel, Ramiel, attacks them.  He believes the librarians hold the missing Devil's Bible, a powerful weapon that can easily unleash war between Heaven and Hell.  So now Claire and her ragtag team must find this book before it reshapes the fabric of Heaven, Hell, and well...Earth.



I have been seeing this book a lot recently and decided to check it out to see if it was up my alley.  Now normally I love a good story that revolves around libraries and book.  The concept that Hackwith had was very creative and interesting.  I was drawn to the synopsis and thought this would be a perfect fit for me.  Indeed I was drawn to the story, however, I found it difficult relating to any of the characters or felt connect to them.  I did love Brevity, but she was barely in the book, and this Leto wasn't as instrumental as he could have been.  The focus seemed to be more on Claire, the Hero, and Ramiel.

There were points were the story just dragged on so when I got the real meat of story, I wasn't as emotionally invested as I would normally have been.  This one took me a lot longer to read than normal, I am not sure because I am feeling like I am in a reading FUNK or not, but that also affected how I responded to the story.  There just didn't seem to be a lot of oomph to this one.

There is so much potential that I think it fell a little flat, too much expectations on my part maybe.  I do plan on reading the next book and giving A.J. Hackwith a second chance to really wow, but I am unfortunately not holding my breath.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...