Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Fourth Monkey

Title: The Fourth Monkey
Author:  J.D. Barker
Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Suspense
Publisher:
Source: Print: Hardback
Rating: 5 out of 5, beyond 5 actually

The Four Monkey Killer has been elusive for the past 5 years, taking girls and dismembering them, sending parts to their families prior to killing them.  When he is identified as a victim of a bus accident while delivering yet another package, detectives Nash and Porter race against time to find out where his latest victim is.  Upon his body a diary is found detailing his life as a child, along with what seems to be a random assortment of items.  The detectives try to follow the clues to find out who 4MK really is and where he has hidden his last girl.






This is probably my favorite book that I have read this year.  There are honestly no words for how phenomenal this book was to read.  I could not put it down, and when I did, I counted the moments until I could pick it back up again.  It lived inside my head and I felt addicted to the writing and characters.  I could have sworn I went through withdrawal symptoms (jokingly).  I lost sleep trying to find out what would happen next.  Every
time I thought I had something figured out, Barker would throw in a twist and all my theories went out the window.

I absolutely love the idea of the killer doing things according the the three (well four) wise monkeys: see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil and lastly do no evil.  It was such a unique concept that I instantly fell in love with it.  I couldn't stop myself from telling everyone around me about this book.  There are things that after you finish reading the book, you wonder why you didn't pick up on it the first time around.  I love how the novel ended, it makes me anxious for June 2018 for Fifth to Die to be release, and I'm also probably hoping over to amazon to pick up Forsaken as well!

I loved the characters and the development and depth behind Sam Porter, but I expected a little more from his back-story and a little more for Nash as well.  I loved Nash's character and wanted (still want) more of his character in the story, maybe in the next book?  I actually enjoyed the killer a lot as well, I find his diary interesting and while it may have felt a little on the far-fetched wild side, but at the same time it is one of those stories that gets you thinking and wondering what a radical sort of family would do in the same circumstances.   Even Falcor found it a little chilling and captivating!!

When you open the book to the bus accident and the idea that the killer is already dead and now detectives need to puzzle it out to find the missing girl you are drawn completely into the story.  It is like nothing else I have read this year, or in a while.  I highly recommend this novel, this author, to anyone who loves a good book that refuses to be put down or to leave your mind.  Pick up a copy today, become a slave to J.D. Barker's writing!

** There is a hidden chapter online, but I have yet to find it, I will add that in when I find it!**



No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...