Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Favorite books of 2017

As the year begins to come to a close, I look back on the books I have read throughout the year.  Some I enjoyed, others not so much, but the love of reading and the love of books remains strong as ever, if not stronger.  I was able to interview and meet some awesome authors as well as attend a great literary convention here in Pittsburgh.  Looking back through the year of books, There are some that became favorites that I will turn to time and time again as well as share with others, such as you all wonderful people.  Here are some of my favorite books I had the honor of reading this past year:

Beautiful Storm:  This was one of those books that I was expecting one thing based on the title and got something else.  I highly enjoyed reading this murder mystery, but would have liked to have had more with lightening, but the story was still very engaging, I liked the characters, and I couldn't put the book down.  I liked that the characters seemed to have their own demons they wrestled with which made it easier to relate to them.


Woodcutter: Woodcutter was probably my favorite book of the year.  I love fairy tales.  Everything about them brings me back to my childhood.  I love reading retellings and other author's takes on the different stories. The title is a little off putting because it's not about a typical fairy tale woodcutter, but about one who protects the fairy tale like characters.  It was also interesting that Danley incorporated some mythology in the tale with the use of Odin and the hellhounds.


The Rogue Mountain:  I am not a horror type of reader, and I honestly read this one simply because a friend of mine had written it.  I was captivated from the very beginning.  It was a horror novel that reflects on the unknown creature lurking in the shadows.  There are so many things in this novel that I want more of, and after some discussions, readers will see these creatures again in other novels.  YAY!


Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: The cover just drew me in and then when I read the blurb I thought: "lets give it a shot".  I was greatly surprised and happy that I did step outside of  my comfort zone to read this book. Sometimes it's good to grab a book outside of your normal genre, it helps you find new authors and new books to fall in love with, and this was that book for me, just fell in love with it.


Alice: This book is a retelling of Alice in Wonderland, a morbid, grotesque version.  Christina Henry has a way of writing some of the most horrific scenes in an utterly beautiful way.  There are topics that might be a trigger for some such as rape,  but Henry does it in a way that gives strength to Alice. I love Alice in Wonderland retellings and this is one of the top favorite ones for me.


What are some of your favorite books that you read this year?  Let me know in the comments!


Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...