Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Once Gone

Title: Once Gone
Author: Blake Pierce
Genre: Mystery, thriller, suspense
Source: Kindle Ebook
Rating: 4 out of 5 paws


Throughout the forests and other rural lands women are turning up murdered and posed in chilling poses.  FBI Agent Bill knows exactly who he needs/wants on the case, his former partner Riley Paige.  The question is is she ready to return to work after her own ordeal?  Riley is the best FBI Agent, she sees and thinks of things differently than the other agents.  She is determined to figure out the motive for these killings and find the latest victim before it is too late.  But is she confusing this monster with the one who haunts her dreams?  Can Riley look past her past and face the case in front of her or will her trauma cause her to fail the women and potentially lose her job?  It becomes a race against time as Riley fights the bureau and herself to discover who the killer is in time.




This was one of those novels that sat on my kindle for a while now and I haven't gotten the chance to read it until now.  I am happy I picked it on a whim the other day.  It is a chilling tale from the beginning to the end.  There are elements about the way the bodies are posed that give it a unique chill.  You will find yourself trying to figure out what dolls have to do with the murders and why the killer poses the women as dolls.  I found myself unable to put the novel down even when someone was speaking to me.  This is one of those stories that drags you into the depths of the tale and holds you captive until the very end.  Once Gone is a book that will have you dreaming about the story once you close the book....if you can close the book.


I absolutely love the character of Riley, she is flawfully strong.  What I mean is she is a powerful character with a ton of strengths, but also completely flawed and doesn't fully think before she acts.  I found myself yelling at her for doing something stupid only to remind myself that I would probably have done something equally stupid.  I love how Pierce shows her struggling with things in her personal life as much as her professional life and what happens when she muddles the two.  I love how her brokenness is portrayed and you can feel the emotions coming of the page, the fear, frustration, anger she feels throughout the book is palpable.  It is bone chilling at how well Pierce is able to draw out emotions from the readers.  It is something that will stick with you once you finish the book, nagging at you until you pick up the next book in the series.  I know I am dying to pick up Once Taken.



It is somewhat predictable, but also unpredictable at the same time.  You can almost predict what Riley is going to do based on her actions throughout the novel, which is not a bad thing because that means the reader completely grows to understand Riley.  But then you can't predict how things will turn out or what direction Pierce is taking things.  I love it.  I couldn't be more excited about randomly picking a book from my Kindle library.  I am honestly surprised not more people are talking about how amazing this book and author is.

I wonder to myself why it took me so long to really dig into this book because it is fantastic.  I am recommending it to anyone who is looking for a good compelling mystery novel.  I know I will never look at a doll the same again.  Blake Pierce really set the stage for this series and I am excited to see what is in store for Riley and readers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...