Monday, August 22, 2016

Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor

As we all know Alice in Wonderland is my favorite story of all time, so anytime i can read a story or series that is based off the classic I end up reading it.  The Looking Glass Wars is such a series, Seeing Redd is the second book in the series.  Alyss has completed her Maze and defeated the Redd Queen.  She is working to get Wronderopolis back to the majestic glory it once was.  Hatter Madigan feels the need to take time for himself and Molly take his place as the Queen's bodyguard.  The king of the Borderlands: Arch has been plotting his own take over of Wonderopolis as he does not respect a woman as a leader.  Redd discovers she can navigate her maze after all and find her scepter and potentially defeat Alyss. Alyss must figure out how she can defeat her aunt once and for all to save her kingdom.

I generally love many stories that deal with Alice in Wonderland, this series is no different.  I love Looking Glass Wars series.  I was saddened that Alyss and Hatter didn't play bigger roles in the story.  Sure they were in the novel, but they were not the focus whereas Redd and Arch's plots were the main story line. The Cat and Dodge were not in the story much either, especially when the battle scene finally appears, they don't do much of battle.  I was waiting for something because there was a lot of build up.  But that seemed to be most of the book, building up for something else, something we don't see a lot of in this book, maybe the third installment.

Alyss hasn't changed much, she is still concerned with her feelings for Dodge and at times that takes her attention away from her duty as queen, but I guess you have to add in a romance to the story somewhere. What I did like and thought was interesting was the silk from the caterpillars having special qualities when woven into fabric or woven together.  It was an interesting addition to the story and I wanted to see where Frank would take it other than using the silk thread as a weapon or enhancement for weapons like Hatter's Hat.  I am not sure if I like this one as much as I liked Looking Glass Wars, and I am eager to see what happens in the third book of the series. 

I would give this book a 3 out 5 stars because it didn't seem as entertaining as the first book, though I still couldn't put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...