Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Daring Greatly by Brene Brown


Daring Greatly by Brene Brown takes a deep look at vulnerability and shame; how the two emotional experiences are related and how they effect the way we live, love, work, learn, and parent.  Brene Brown takes her extensive research and everything she has learned from it to present to her readers.  She discusses the things in our lives that cause vulnerability and shame as well as how those things can hinder us from achieving our greatest potential.   While she talks about how vulnerability inhibits our success rate, she talks about how we can turn that around and use our vulnerabilities to achieve the success we desire in various aspects of our lives.

I picked this book up on the recommendation from one of my mom's friends.  I normally do not find myself in the self help aisle of book stores or amazon, but for some reason something told me that this was a book I needed to read and I am very happy that I decided to pick this book up.  I found myself underlining and making notes on many of the things Brene Brown mentioned throughout the book, it was almost like she was speaking directly to me.  She backed up all her theories with her research and her own experiences.  I found it interesting that she included her own personal experiences with vulnerability, shame, and failure.   Having those stories help put the theories into perspective in away that is easy to understand and relate to.

Throughout the book, Brene uses a conversational tone and style like she is sitting beside the reader talking to them alone.  I can understand why her seminars and speeches are wildly popular.  When she introduces a complex idea, she gets to her readers level and understanding rather than assuming we would understand what she is talking about simply because we bought her book.  There was a lot of information in this book that makes me want to read it a second time and then pick up her other books.  I would highly recommend this book, though there were some things I couldn't relate to at this point in my life such as parenting, but I can see why that section is helpful.  I would give this book a 4.5 out of 5.  Very good, pick it up today and watch as it changes how you view vulnerability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...