Monday, August 17, 2020

The Gilded Wolves

Title: The Gilded Wolves
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Hardback
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 paws


The Exposition Universelle has breathed new life into the streets and dredged up some ancient secrets.  Severin Montagnet-Alarie has been able to steal a compass which hides the location of a tower of Babel fragment.  He is not the only one who is seeking this artifact.  When the Order of Babel coerces him into helping them with a recovery mission, Severin is offered the one treasure he could never pass up: his true inheritance.  To complete his mission, Severin calls upon the aid of a group of unlikely friends, an engineer with a debt to pay, a historian banished from him own homeland, a dancer with a sinister past, and a brother in arms if not blood.  Together they will explore the darkest parts of Paris searching for their treasure and hope to stop anyone from gaining access to the fragment.




There are so many things one can say about this novel.  I absolutely loved it.  I have become a quick fan of Roshani Chokshi as I have also read Star-Touched Queen and Crown-Of Wishes.  The Gilded Wolves was everything I was expecting and more.  It is just so magical and includes mathematical riddles which I absolutely loved.  The math aspect gave the novel such a unique quality to it that I haven't seen done yet, and kudos to Chokshi for including it in her novel.  I knew I needed to clear some time to read this one and actually told my husband I needed that time to devote to this novel.  He is super understanding about my reading needs.


I so wanted more about the Tower of Babel fragments, and I have a feeling we may see more of them in hopefully some future novels?? -hint hint- Chokshi's way of describing things makes you feel as if you are apart of the story.  I could almost taste the food, see the sights, feel the heat of flames and so much more.  The characters I am so in love with!  Enrique is my kind of historian and Trystan is amazingly shy, I feel if he was real he would be my crush.  I wanted so much more from his character, more of his backstory and his love of Goliath.  Chokshi gives readers so much of characters that we feel for them, it is almost as if the characters become a part of us.  I love it.


I am mad at myself for not reading this novel sooner and letting it sit on my shelf for so long.  I was drawn in from the very beginning and couldn't stop reading, one night I was up until the wee hours of the night needing to finish this novel and find out what happens.  And then the very last line!  OMG Roshani what are you doing to me!


Everything about this book I loved.  The world building, the character building, even the snippets of a love interest.  I cannot wait for more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...