Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Be Careful of Who You Invite Into Your Home

Title: I Invited Her In
Author: Adele Parks
Genre: Thriller
Source: Kindle eBook
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars


Out of no where Mel received an email for her old college friend, Abi.  Abi is in trouble and needs Mel's help, a place to stay.  Despite not speaking in over 15 years, Mel invites Abi to stay with her family "for as long as she needs. Mel is overcome with nostalgia and loves having her past come back to her.  But not everything is as it seems as Abi begins seeing a new mystery man.  All of Mel's secrets come out and Abi seeks revenge.




I have to say this book was a HUGE disappointment.  As I kept reading, I kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't.  I guessed everything fairly early so all the big reveals were not all too surprising.  This book honestly made me mad because it was almost laughable at times.


I did not like any of the characters.  I felt they were all annoying especially Mel.  She let her old friend basically rule over her life and take over, to the point of excessive drinking and dare I say neglecting her children.  Her family walked on egg shells to make sure she was comfortable even so far as letting her use the master suite.  It was all just a bit unbelievable for me.  This was supposed to be a thriller, but there was nothing thrilling about it.  It sounded so promising, but it fell super super flat.  There was absolutely zero edge, zero suspense that made me want to keep reading.


The story dragged on and I kept reading hoping it would get better, NOPE.  The characters are too cliched, the plot too predictable.  There was nothing that really kept me interested in this other than to see if the story would pick up.  I should have DNF'd it, but I wanted to persevere through it.  I almost wish I did DNF and moved on to a better book.


I would not exactly recommend this book outright, but if you enjoy a slow paced, predictable novel, then give it a shot but if you want something very suspenseful then move on and pick something else up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...