Friday, July 10, 2020

Review: Crown of Feathers

   
Title: Crown of Feathers
Author: Nicki Pau Preto
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Kindle e-Book
Rating 5 out of 5 paws


Veronyka is an orphan who has dream of becoming a Phoenix Rider, like those from the stories she grew up on.  Veronyka has a fight with her sister who in turn betrays her in the worst way and Veronyka begins her journey to find the mysterious Riders.  This means disguising herself as a boy so she could join their ranks if she happens to find them. Everything is going fine until her sister suddenly shows up and reveals a web of lies that changes everything Veronyka thought she knew.  The empire has learned of the return of the Phoenix riders and intends to destroy them all.




This was a book that I didn't know I needed.  First off let me say how amazing it is that phoenixes are utilized in this book rather than the typical dragon we tend to see in fantasy novels. Now that is all I want!  I want more phoenixes in my life, so much so that I have the next books slated to be read within a few days.  I think this book has made me love phoenixes more than I love dragons.  Not many authors utilize them in their stories to the fullest potential and I am so happy that Nicki Pau Preto has done just that and made them into majestic creatures that they are.


While we read through this story of people recovering from a brutal war and a young woman trying to find her place in this world, we are introduced to unique world with it's own history.  I love that Pau Preto has included so much of the history in the novel, that you feel like you know the people, know who they are and where they've been.  It is very evident that she took the time to plan out her story and how she wanted things to unfold.


The plot was a little slow building but it was very character based which is so interesting and makes you connect with the characters and with this being the first book in the series, you want some background and depth to your characters.  It takes a little while to build up to the heart of the story, but when it does you become so sucked into the story that you don't want to do anything else (I didn't want to go to work, but I had too). 

While the book may not be for everyone because there is a lot of info dumping and takes time to build up, but I found it to be one of those books that you are excited to read, and need to take a minute once you have finished.  The next book Heart of Flames is a bit bigger coming in at 619 pages, but I am so ready to tackle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...