Friday, July 17, 2020

Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron

Title:Kingdom of Souls
Author: Rena Barron
Genre: YA Fantasy
Source: Hardcover
Rating: 5 out of 5 paws

Arrah comes from a long line of powerful witch doctors, but unfortunately it seems like magic is passing over her.  Eachyear she tries to be blessed by the gods, but each year she comes back disappointed. When a premonition comes to her grandmother regarding Arrah and a green serpant, then local children become missing spurs Arrah into action, to buy magic with her life.  What she discovers goes beyond her most horrific nightmares and becomes more than betrayal. Now she must learn how to master magic, or find ways to buy it without losing too much of her life in order to save herself and those she loves most.


What can I say about this novel that goes beyond "WoW'?  I am so glad that I picked up this novel because it blew me away.  I couldn't put it down.  It was so beautifully written I wonder to myself why did I let it sit on my shelf for so long? Rena Barron builds a world of magic like I haven't seen before, she goes beyond the general stereotypes and creates soemthing new and amazing.  I love how she describes the magic and each other gods that play a role within the story and how they each present themselves.


Arrah is an enjoyable strong character once she gets past complaining about not having magic.  She does learn how to access her own inner strength and be powerful without needing to rely on magic to help her achieve her goals.  She is not afraid to do what she needs to do in order to protect those she loves and she deals with betrayal and mistrust in a strong mature way.  One thing that I wanted more of was the different tribes and how each tribe interacts and their beliefs, maybe we will get more as the series progresses, but it seems like such a big aspect of the story that seemed to fall to the background and I think may make the story a lot more powerful.


Rena Barron does a fantastic job building her world and characters that make readers CRAVE more of them.  I cannot wait for the next book in the series and see where Rena will take the story.  I want to learn more and be engrossed in this world more.  I was excited to see that there is a movie in the works that I will be sure to see whenever it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...