Thursday, October 18, 2018

Discovery of Witches

Title: A Discovery of Witches
Author:Deborah Harkess
Genre: Fantasy, Magic
Source: Library Hardback
Rating: 5 out of 5 paws

Diana Bishop is doing research when she comes across an old manuscript, thought to be lost.  Upon further inspection she finds the manuscript is different that the others she has read.  Diana comes from a long line of powerful witches, and she wants nothing to do with that life, but because of her connection with the manuscript all sorts of creatures are looking for her.  Members of each race descend upon the library and Diana has no choice but to turn to handsome vampire Matthew Clemont to help her discover the truth about the manuscript and herself.  But soon Diana finds herself face to face with her powers and her fears.  She must learn what her powers are and how to control them. She will find herself traveling outside her comfort zone and facing dangers untold and unspeakable horrors, but she will also find her way to guidance and assistance, to the one who will help her understand her new life.  How will she be able to unlock the secrets hidden within the manuscript?

 

This book series has been recommended countless times from book store staff to friends, and those in my book club group on facebook.  Because of all the glowing fantastic reviews, I decided to pick this one and see what all the fuss was about. I am so glad that I did, I enjoyed this novel more than I expected too.  I like the alchemy aspect of it because I love the idea of alchemy and hope the series continues with this.  I love that Diana is in her 30's (I think) and she is still learning about herself and the world around her.

The story is very vivid and easy to picture the world Harkess has created, but sometimes it was a little too much description, but I still enjoyed it none the less.  I love that it felt like she knew what was talking about down to ruins, covens and practices.  She must have done her research or was already familiar with some aspects of the culture.  I love love that she included that.  I don't think many authors really create a culture within their worlds, but Harkess does just that.  She creates something new and exciting to read.  I couldn't stop reading!

There was a bit of action and explanation throughout the story.  When there was an action scene it was exciting and thrilling to read, Harkess did not hold back from the descriptions here.  I enjoyed that there was some romance in this as well, but I wished there was some more action or conflict maybe not so much fighting but confronting one another.  But there is a lot going on in this novel that makes me really excited to pick up the second and see what will happen next.  There are some dark themes and horrible moments, but they are handled well and not overdone.

Overall, I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good fantasy novel with witches, vampires, and daemons (not to be confused with demons or fallen angels.)  This book will give you everything you are looking for in an epic tale and leaves you wanting more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...