Friday, December 18, 2015

Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Being the fan of ALice in Wonderland that I am, it is only natural that I needed to read Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor.  Looking Glass Wars follows Princess Alyss Heart of Wonderland.  The young princess experiences incredible trauma when her aunt attacks the palace and kills her family.  Alyss escapes Redd with Hatter Madigan, only to find themselves transported to another realm through the pool of tears.  Although, Alyss lands in London, and Hatter in France.  No matter what Alyss says about Wonderland no one believes her and soon her imagination begins to fail her.  She is adopted and she begins to stop talking about Wonderland all together when a family friend takes her story and turns it into a fantasy book.  Back in Wonderland Redd reign of terror continues and those who survived her attack on the palace either swore allegiance to her or joined a rebellion.   Alyss is discovered in London 13 years after she transported there, and is brought back confused and unsure of herself.  She must enter the Looking Glass Maze in order to become the Queen she is meant to be and defeat Queen Redd.

Frank Beddor's Looking Glass Wars is a book that will work it's way into your conscious and never leave.  After reading this book you will crave more from this author, I know I do!  The Wonderland he creates is nothing like the Wonderland we have come to know and love.  It is darker, depressive, run down.  Beddor's story played with the idea that Carroll had gotten his story wrong and Looking Glass Wars is what really happened in Wonderland.  It was an interesting idea, and while some Alice in Wonderland spin offs have fallen short of expectations, Beddor exceeded them. 

Princess Alyss grows from a spoiled little girl to one struggling to survive in a new world, only to be thrown back into a world she had but forgotten.  She had to learn to be queen and regain her powerful imagination in a short time period.  She became a true warrior rather than a young girl content on relying on others.  Looking Glass Wars is a novel that definitely has a strong, courageous female lead that uses her intelligence to succeed.  We watch as the characters evolve into different characters, stronger, more intelligent characters.  One thing I did enjoy was images were included on what different characters would look like.  I would enjoy seeing what Hollywood would come up with for a movie based on a novel.

I cannot begin to say how wonderful I think this novel is, and I plan on running out to get the second book in this trilogy.  I would recommend this novel to those who enjoy Wonderland, fairy tales, even a good action/suspense novel.  I would give this a 5 out 5 rating.  I hope the next one is just as good! 

Warning: I love Alice in Wonderland so much, I just received another spin off to go on my TBR shelf.  Keep on the lookout for my review of After Alice by Gregory McGuire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...