Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A Christmas Promise By Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer

It is that special time of year when families gather together to celebrate the holidays.  I felt it was appropriate to review a book that takes place during the same time of year.

A Christmas Promise is the 5th book in the Cape Light Series and follows the story of James Cameron (not the director), a missionary who decides to spend the holidays in Cape Light.  When his car collides with another, a hint of trouble comes down to this tiny village.  The woman in the other car Leigh Baxter is no hurt, but she needs to remain in town while her car is getting fixed.  She never expect to fall in love with this quaint little town, or James.   But she is worried that he will not accept her dark secrets, could someone love her after finding out about her past?  Meanwhile Sam and Jessica's relationship is put to the test, and the attempt to have a baby of their own.

I fell in love with this series when I was a young teenager, my mom had bought me the first Cape Light novel and I devoured it.  I found the characters to be relatable to an extent, some of the things the family went through and experienced didn't seem like something most families would, but then again it is a work of fiction.  Thomas Kinkade is known as the painter of light, and with this novel, he brings light into the reader's life through his words with Katherine Spencer.

I found the religious aspect of the story to be light and breezing, it did not seem like the authors were trying to "shove it down readers' throats."  The romance in the novel focused on the building of the relationship rather than the physical aspect of the relationship.  I like stories that focus on a couples struggles and how they work them out rather than the couple constantly in the sack.  It feels more realistic and plausible when a couple fights and then work together to come to a solution.

I think this series is more relatable and would be more enjoyable to women rather than men, but hey guys might enjoy a good light romantic novel from time to time right?  For a rating I would give this a 4 out of 5.  I'll  have to see if there is more to the series than the last book I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...