Monday, November 26, 2018

In Her Bones

Title: In Her Bones
Author: Kate Moretti
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Source: Paperback: Goodreads win
 Rating: 3 out of 5 paws.

Fifteen years ago a serial killer brutally murdered six women.  Now Lilith Wade is sitting on death row, but her murders still fascinate the public with an unauthorized biography and media frenzy.  Her daughter, Edie now thirty, is trying to survive her own life outside of the spotlight, but she finds herself obsessed with the families of the women her mother had killed.  Edie quickly finds herself in the home of one man, Paul whose wife had been murdered.  The morning after Paul is found murdered and Edie becomes the prime suspect.  Now she must elude the police while trying to find out who really killed Paul.  She goes into hiding while she conducts her research that leads are down the path of her past.  Can she figure it all out before it's too late?

 

I was lucky enough to receive this book as a Goodreads giveaway, if you haven't tried goodreads yet, you should.  It is a fantastic site.  Anyway, as I said I won this from the giveaway and I finally was able to read it over the Thanksgiving holiday.  I think I was more excited to read it and seen all great reviews for it, but I felt a little disappointed in this novel.  It was far from what I was expecting.

There were a lot of things, that while they were interesting to read they made no real sense to the story such as excerpts from the biography.  Sure it gave an idea of what had happened with the murders, and investigation etc, but it did nothing to contribute to the overall story.  Most of the book is Edie hiding and questioning people who were in Paul's life which barely takes her anywhere.  I understand the idea and use of "red herrings" in a story, but to have over half the book be one, made it uninteresting.  I will give the author credit in that I was unable to predict who the killer actually was in a weird turn of events, that gave the book a few more points.

The characters felt a little drab, I was  unable to really connect or have any feelings for Edie or the other minor characters.  I would have liked to have seen Brandt in the story more than he was, he seemed like an interesting character who was left to the back-burner a little, the same with her brother Dylan.  There was a lot of potential for depth in the characters but it didn't seem like this novel really scratched the surface of them much.

Mystery fans may like this novel, I don't think there is much thrill or suspense to entertain or interest thriller/suspense fans.  I would be willing to attempt another one of Kate Moretti's novels, but I have a feeling they may be much like this one....fall short of expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...