Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Traitor's Game


Title: Traitor's Game
Author: Jennifer Nielsen
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Source: Hardback: Library
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 paws


For three years Kestra Dallisor was in exile, when she is called to return home, she is pulled right back to her fathers politics and hatred.  The role Kestra plays is not one of her choosing, she is just a pawn.  A group of rebels know how valuable Kestra is to the empire and kidnap her from her carriage.  They strike a deal with her, she find a mystical blade for them, and they will spare the lives of her protector and handmaiden.  While she agrees, Kestra is determined to not make it easy.  Soon secrets creep out of the darkness and alliances are born.  Kestra needs to decide whom she can put her trust in and whom she should fear.




I was excited about this book when I read about it last year.  It seemed to have everything I look for in a book, and the cover is very interesting and alluring.  It seemed to have a powerful female lead and strong supporting characters.  I am pleased to say the book delivered everything I could imagine it would and left me wanting more from the story.  I do look forward to reading the next book when it comes out next year.


Kestra is probably one of the strongest female leads I have read in YA this year.  She is not willing to go down easy and comes out fighting. She doesn't whimper or whine about her situation, but instead does what she can to come out on top even if it means lying to those she trusts the most.  We know she has strong fighting skills taught to her from Darrow, but we really don't get to see it...yet.  I hope there will be more action in the next book as it progresses to the next stage of the story.  Kestra has more depth to her than I have seen in a while and I am proud that Nielsen took the time to create a bold feisty, alluring heroine rather than a princess whose only concern are her dresses and status.


The Traitor's Game is a story packed full of battle scenes, murder, secrets, romance, and strength all rolled into a tale the takes readers on a roller coaster ride.  Some things I was able to predict and figure out, but other things were not what I was expecting.  While the book was fast paced and kept the reader wanting more, there were a few slower points that made me want to skip over them and read the next chapter.  I did find myself saying "one more chapter" until I looked at the clock and seen it was 2 am.


One of the most anticipated novels of 2018 and it does not disappoint.  I look forward to seeing what Nielsen has in store for readers in the next book of the series.  I would recommend it if you enjoy fantasy.  If you enjoy novels like the Throne of Glass series, then you will most likely enjoy this novel.


Check out some of these other reviews:


Word Nerd Scribbles
The Fandom



No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...