Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Dead Girls

Title: Dead Girls
Author: Graeme Cameron
Genre: Mystery
Source: Netgalley ebook
Rating: 3 out of 5 paws


Two months have past since detective Alisha Green was left for dead by a serial killer.  Her mind no longer feels like it is her own.  While the killer thinks she is just another dead girl on his list, Ali is determined to show him that he did not destroy her.  But now she not only has to fight with the man who attempted to kill her, but she also has to fend off her failing memory. As new evidence arises, everything seems to be compromised now and Ali begins to question herself and her memory.  She must force herself to remember the horrors she went through in order to catch this killer.



 **As mentioned earlier, I received a copy of this book for an honest review from Netgalley and the Publishers**


Everything about this book promotes and screams chilling tale.  Gripping and suspenseful, the cover art is what originally drew me into the story and made me want to read it to see what will happen within this tale.  When I read the synopsis, I thought it would be a book right up my alley lately, but it seemed to fall a little flat for me.  I am not 100% sure why it seemed to fall flat for me but unfortunately it did.  I wasn't able to get into it as much as I had hoped I would.


The book starts out fast, right into the action.  Normally this is a good thing, but I didn't feel like I was able to get to know the character well enough before being thrown into the mix of things.  I like a little bit of complexity of my characters before we are thrown into the story without fully knowing her background.  It gives the feel of not having enough time to know everything or everyone that is related to the story.  This makes it harder to really get engrossed in the story, because sometimes readers will have to go back a few pages just to be able to understand what is happening.


After a while characters began to run together and I lost track of who was who, I struggled to understand what was happening in the story, and I felt so disconnected from the story.  I like a story that compels me to read more, one with depth to the characters.  I expected more from Ali, more depth as she struggled with her self and what was real or imagined.  It felt disorganized and choppy as it jumped from one scene to another without much of a smooth transition.


While it felt well written the novel just fell short of my expectations.  There is too much going on and too many characters in the story to keep my interest going beyond wanting to finish the book. While I may not have been a fan other mystery/thriller/suspense fans might enjoy this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...