Monday, February 8, 2016

Boys In The Trees By Carly Simon


Boys In The Trees is the memoir of singer Carly Simon.  It is a sincere reflection on Carly's childhood and the events that led to the beginning and end of her career.  She opens up not only about her past loves, but also struggles she had to overcome to become the success that she was.

I am not one for memoirs, as a reader, I honestly do not get much out of them.  But occasionally there are some that have been inspiring such as When Breath Becomes Air and entertaining such as Carol Burnette's memoirs.  Boys in The Trees was unfortunately neither of those for me.  I found this memoir a little difficult for me to read.  Carly seemed to drone on about things, and skipped around a lot, so it was difficult keeping track of any sort of timeline. 

Some of the things she talked about seemed over-exaggerated or embellished a little bit.  While some moments were entertaining and interesting to read, it felt like there was something she was hiding, something she was holding back on.  There were points in the story that became difficult to read because of this.  There were things she began to describe, but didn't follow through it.  There was an overwhelming feeling that this book is incomplete, which brings the overall feeling of the book down a little.

I would recommend this if you are a fan of Carly Simon and music.  I will warn you though, you might be disappointed with it as I was.  I would give this a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...