Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Silver City

While out hunting Halthris comes across a Ska'i tribesman, a tribe who should not be within her homeland.  She and her brother discover a larger group of the barbarians massing in the hills.  They embark on a journey to warn the city of this impending threat.  Halthris is thrown into an unknown world of royalty, politics, magic and even a little bit of romance as two sons of the royal house attempt to not only court Halthris but also gain control of the future of this city.  While the two fight for her attention and their control, the Ska'i plan their attack and bide their time until the time is perfect.


** I will start this review off by saying I received this book for net galley for an honest review. If you review books and haven't signed up for Netgalley, then you are missing out on some great opportunities.**


This felt really long to read because it is very descriptive and detailed.  For me it was slow to start, but then began to pick up later in the novel.  It is unpredictable with a lot of twists and turns that I honestly did not expect to see in this novel.   I have seen a lot of people saying there aren't many books that have a strong female lead..well this is a book that has one.  Halthris is a strong woman who strives to prove that she is capable of doing things and does not need to settle down with a man to be happy.  She is very interesting and has a lot of depth to her character, meaning there is more to her than what readers see on the surface.


There are moments that seem to be at a standstill and it took a little while for me to really get into the novel, but once I hit Part 2 I think is when I started to really get into the story.  Don't get me wrong I was enjoying it and wanted to read it, but it was easy to get distracted by another novel for a little while.  Overall I ended up really enjoying this novel and find myself wanting to read something else by Pamela Belle.


Belle does a fantastic job writing this novel, I know it was released in the early 90's an recently re-released which is great, a new fan-base can be reached with this novel.  When you look through other ratings and reviews, you will not find one that goes below 3 stars and that is the case with me.  I rate this novel a 4.5 because it does start slow and has moments when it seems like it drags on.  But I do recommend it for those who love this type of novel.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Edge of Summer By Viola Shipman

  Title: Edge of Summer Author:  Viola Shipman Source:  Paperback Genre:  General Fiction Rating:  5 enthusiastic paws up Sutton Douglas is ...